Knitted hat for newborns

Knitted hat for a new born

This cute I made it for my son when he was a few months. The yarn was a gift and it was special for newborns. It was soft and warm and I fell in love with the color. It is a strong color for a baby, a little dark, but sometimes you need to be bold and different.

I did this hat before discovering the treasures from Ravelry and all the great projects. Now, I have a list of projects to do and need lots of yarn to buy to manage to make them.

A few years back, my mother in law gave me a huge suitcase filled with yarn and some French magazines with patterns for knitting, so I would make clothes for my son.  My French is not so good, but with a little knitting knowledge, I manage to guess some patterns or at least half of them.
After checking Ravelry, I found that this type of hat is name an Elf Hat.

The yarn is dark grey with bits of pink and blue, but I don’t know the name of it or size because I don’t have the tag anymore. When I knitted this hat, I never thought that I would start writing about knitting so didn’t keep all the tags and information.

For this pattern you can use any yarn and the needles that go with the yarn. The pompom is made a little different from a normal pompom.

Hat is worked in round with no special pattern so the most important things are the color and the shape.

Keep in mind that I am trying to write you about this pattern from photos I took for my son. I gave this hat as a gift for another new born.  If you make this project adapt it to your yarn, needles and size.

Materials:

-          Yarn
-          Circular needles – size 7 or 8
-          A stitch mark

Pattern

Cast 30 stitches and join together. Mark the beginning of the row with a stitch mark. Knit 1 row and purl the other.  Do that for 8 rows. Measure the head of the child so is not small. If is big is OK.

Decreases:

Purl 2 together, purl and then at the end of the row purl 2 together (28).
P5, p2tog,p5,p2tog… (24)
Purl
P4,p2tog,p4,p2tog…(20)
Purl
P3,p2tog,p3…(16)
Purl
*P2,p2tog….(12)
*Purl         
* repeat 5 times
**p2tog,….(6)
**Purl
** repeat 5 times
***P2tog,p2tog,p2tog
***purl
*** repeat 3 times

Bind off. Sew in ends and add the pompom.

You need to adapt the pattern to the yarn. If is a thick yarn you need less stitches and less rows, but if it is thin you need more stitches and more rows.

The idea is very simple.  You need to decrease very fast in the first rows and then go with just a few stitches and decrease once or twice more before you end the hat. The thin part can be as long as you want.

Pompom:

This pompom is made of 2 knitted rectangles:
-                    Big     – 5 stitches – knit 40 rows
-                   Small – 5 stitches – knit 20 rows
Sew the middle of each rectangle and then attached it to the hat.
Using different colors and yarn you can make a hat for Christmas, Easter or Sf. Patrick.



 You are welcome to make and use this pattern as you wish, but please do not sell the pattern nor claim the pattern as your own.
You are welcome to sell any item made using this pattern, but please credit the designer.
Please link back to this page if you write about the pattern in any way.

You may not reproduce the photos, pattern or tutorial, either partially or in full, contained in this post without obtaining written permission from me first. 
If you would like to produce your own photo tutorial, video tutorial or translation of this pattern, please get in touch with me to obtain permission first. 
Thank you!

I welcome all comments and questions as long as they are spoken with kindness, and I will always try to extend the same respect to you with my replies. If I feel your comment is inappropriate I will delete it.





Comments

Popular Posts